Armenian people’s physical characteristics are unique and may be interesting for many people, especially for those who are not Armenian but want to know Armenians closely.
Do you know about Armenian people’s physical characteristics? Are there any typical looks that most of Armenians share?
Armenia is one of the ancient nations in the world. Armenians belong to the Europoid and Armenoid race types.
They are commonly characterized by having:
- Short and round skull
- Wide forehead
- Medium face size
- Long and curved nose
- Thick eyebrows
- Wide and mostly dark cute eyes
- Long eyelashes
- Mostly thick and dark hair type
- White skin
Armenian People’s Physical Characteristics #1: Eyes
Armenians accept they have different and specific eyes that no other race in the whole world has. It’s no surprise that there are many writings and songs devoted to gorgeous Armenian eyes.
Armenians’ eyes were blue like the waves of the Van Sea, deep as Armenian valleys and charming like Armenia’s nature.According to a legend
Different Colored Eyes
Today it’s difficult to name one simple physical pattern of Armenian eyes. They come in various shapes and colors. But there are some common features that you’ll often meet.
To put it short – Armenian eyes are deep, yet adorable. Mostly, they are dark brown or black in. But, sometimes you’ll meet Armenians with blue, green or honey-colored eyes.
Armenians Have Big Eyes
- The most visible feature is the size of the eyes. Armenians have big eyes.
- Another common thing that foreigners notice about Armenian eyes is sadness. No matter how happy and young they are, there is always some universal sadness in there. We can’t definitely say why there is something mysterious about Armenian eyes, but the fact is they were formed over the centuries and now are part of the national genetic portrait.
- There is a popular concept among locals why Armenian eyes are so big. The reason is the endless historical struggles and difficulties that Armenians have endured for many centuries. Armenian eyes are allegedly big because they were surprised at how they survived all these years.
Writings & Songs About Armenian Eyes
Armenian eyes inspired not only Armenian writers and authors, but also foreign poets.
One of those inspired people is famous Russian journalist and author, Vladimir Posner, who devoted one of his chapters from his autobiography “Parting with Illusions” to his memories about Armenia. This is what he wrote particularly about Armenian eyes.
Eyes of the children (Armenian children) eyes were filled with just the same wisdom and sorrow as ones of grownups. At the moment, I had a strange and uncomfortable feeling because I assumed those children were wiser and more powerful at birth than I would be at the hour of my death.
At that moment, I realized that my culture, my civilization were nothing in comparison with what was preserved by them. These people managed to survive as a nation, keep their language, culture, land (the latter not completely enough though).
They are lineal descendants of people who lived long before the birth of Rome and before Ancient Greece was created and rose, who were contemporaries of ancient Egyptians’, belonging to the era of first Pharaohs.Vladimir Posner
Prominent Armenian maestro Robert Amirkhanyan and lyricist Armenak Sargsyan (Sarmen) wrote the song “Hayi Acher”, Հայի աչեր (Armenian Eyes).
|Armenian Text||English Text|
|Հայի աչքեր, սիրու՛ն աչքեր,||Armenian’s eyes, lovely eyes,|
|Սև ամպն էր ձեզ ծածկել դարեր,||The black cloud was to cover you for ages,|
|Սև վիշտն էր ձեզ մաշել, տանջել,||Black sorrow to gnaw you, torment,|
|Ձեզնից ժպիտն առել-տարել:||Taken away from your smile.|
|Լույսի լճակ` աչքեր տրտում||Light pond, eyes downcast|
|Այս ե՞րբ դարձաք այսպես խնդուն:||When you became so gleeful?|
Armenian People’s Physical Characteristics #2: Gorgeous Hair
According to Armenian mythology, ancestor Hayk – the forefather of Armenians had curly, golden hair that reached to his shoulders. Today, some Armenians have curly and light-colored hair but Armenian people more commonly have dark brown or black hair. Armenian hair is one of the most notable characteristics of a combination of dark and expressively curly or wavy hair.
Armenian Men & Women’s Hair
Traditionally, Armenian men, regardless of their social class, used to have long hair. Nowadays, short-cut hair is generally more widespread.
As for women, modern Armenian women mostly keep their hair long like their ancestors did. It has always been acceptable for women to have long hair and comb them in a form of long and beautiful braids.
Armenian People’s Physical Characteristics #3: Nose
- The Armenian nose is an aquiline nose, often considered a sign of an aquiline character. Armenians compare the shape of their nose with enormous Armenian mountains: high, proud and honest.
- It is widely recognized that Armenians have a big “Caucasian nose”, but in reality, it’s an Armenian nose.
- Because of many mixed marriages, the Armenian nose is spread among other Caucasian nations and vice versa.
- Armenians are always proud of their relatively large noses, considering them a significant part of their essence, and at the same time are very humorous about them.
- In 2014, the comedy movie “Qit Cut” (“qit”, means “nose” in Armenian) premiered in Yerevan State Chamber Theatre.
Armenian People’s Physical Characteristics #4: Hands
Armenian hands and arms are also very pliable and rough. They are pliable because local people actively practised crafts, arts and medicine for centuries. Armenian hands are rough because they are the hands of a nation that was busy in agriculture, construction and weapon crafting.
It is no surprise that Armenia is very good at wrestling and is considered the #1 sport in the country. Most of the Olympic medals are acquired through wrestling.
Arms of Armenian men are very strong while those of women are delicate and smooth. Armenians represent a very parent-oriented and especially a mother-honoring nation. There is a number of songs and poems describing the uniqueness of Armenian women.
One of the most loved and popular Armenian poets – Paruyr Sevak – has devoted a wonderful poem to Armenian mothers’ hands.
Armenian People Physical’s Characteristics #5: Spine
Generally speaking, it can be said Armenians have long backbone. Men are strong, muscled and have a thick waist, which naturally is the key to their power. You wouldn’t want to fight with Armenian men.
Armenian women are thin and have long-spine. One of the features of their body structure is having a slim waist and wide thighs. Another important part of Armenian women’s beauty is the expression of their back posture.
A famous Armenian ashugh (traditional Armenian singer or musician), “Sayat Nova” compared an Armenian woman with a tree, describing her as having a long and thin spine just like the tree.
The Armenian taraz, a compound part of traditional Armenian clothing, emphasizes women’s waist and beautiful posture.
Armenian People’s Physical Characteristics #6: Thick Eyebrows
The eyebrows are different and as various as eyes. Armenian men are distinguished by thick and long eyebrows which generally bend down to eyes. We can’t say that it refers to everyone, but the majority has thick eyebrows.
Armenian women usually have arched eyebrows that hook on to the edge of their eyes. There is a song about Nubar, a girl with arched eyebrows that goes: “…Nubar’s height resembles that of a plain tree, a girl with arched eyebrows”.
Armenian People’s Physical Characteristics #7: Chest
It is an essential part of Armenians’ physical characteristics description. Armenian men are mostly broad-shouldered. They have wide back and wide chest.
As for women, despite their thin spine, they have wide chests too.
Armenian People’s Physical Characteristics #8: Mouth
The mouth of Armenians is not very big and not too small. It is mainly medium in size. Their lips are not too thick but not too thin. They are basically suitable and corresponding with face features.
Armenian People’s Physical Characteristics #9: Height
Are Armenians taller than the average height in the world?
Their height depends on the geographical region and is slightly above the average. It is also accepted that for their height, Armenian men are very heavy and masculine. As for younger boys, they are thin but with age, but after 35, many men turn up to have big bellies…
Armenian women are not very tall. The average height is 168 cm.
Armenian People’s Physical Characteristics #10: Skin Color
Skin color, like height and hair type, depends on the region where a certain person or their ancestors come from. Generally speaking, Armenians are recognized to have pink-white, dark white and light brown skin color.
Other Related Articles
- 10 Armenian girls you should know! See their photos and beauty
- 10 Armenian songs of music videos on youtube that you should give a try!
- 10 Armenian Men coolest among Armenian guys and boys!
- Interesting Facts About Armenia & Armenians | Those 10 things you should know!
- Where Are Armenians From? Ever Wondered? Find All Answers About Armenian Ancestry & DNA
- Armenian Mentality! Discover Top 12 Characteristic Features That All Armenians Have
- Armenian Ethnicity! What Is Ethnic Armenian? | Also Find Out What Other Ethnic Groups & Minorities There Are in Armenia!
At the end, we see all the mentioned characteristics come to prove that Armenians are a specific nationality just like any other nationality in the world!
With one difference – they are neither Europeans, nor Asians, not even Caucasians. Armenians both physically and genetically are considered to be a unique combination of all three, but at the same time, their genetic portrait consists of features that none of the mentioned race types has.