Armenian people physical characteristics! This question may be interesting for many people, especially for those who are not Armenian, but want to know Armenians closely.
Do you know about Armenian people physical characteristics? Are there any typical looks that most of Armenians share? Let’s discover together!
Armenian nation is one of the ancients in the world. Armenians belong to the Europoid and Armenoid race types.
They are commonly characterized by having:
- Short and round skull
- Wide forehead
- Medium face size
- Long and curved nose
- Thick eyebrows
- Wide and mostly dark cute eyes
- Long eyelashes
- Mostly thick and dark hair type
- White skin
Seems interesting to dig in? Alright, then take a look at 10 common features of Armenian people’s physical characteristics. Let’s dive in!
Armenian People Physical Characteristics #1: Those Eyes
The deepest and more philosophical component of Armenians physical characteristics is their eyes. Only eyes can symbolize the real nature and character of Armenians.
Armenians accept they have different and specific eyes that no other nation in the whole world has. So, it’s no surprise that there are many writings and songs devoted to gorgeous Armenian eyes.
Eyes of Armenians were blue like the waves of the Van Sea, deep as Armenian valleys and charming like Armenian nature.According to a legend
Variously Colored Eyes
Today it’s difficult to name one simple physical pattern of Armenian eyes. Because they come in various shapes and colors. But there are some common features that you’ll meet often.
To put it short – Armenian eyes are deep and CUTE! Mostly, they are dark, brown or black in color, sometimes you’ll meet Armenians also with blue, green or honey-colored eyes.
Armenian Eyes Are BIG!
- The most visible feature is the size of the eyes. Armenians have big, very big eyes. This is what many foreigners first notice about Armenians and can even be a bit envious!
- Another common thing that foreigners say about Armenian eyes is the sadness. No matter how happy and young, there is always some universal sadness in there.
- We can’t unequivocally say why there is something mysterious about those characteristics of Armenian eyes, but the fact is they were formed over the centuries and now are part of the national genetic portrait.
- There is a popular concept among locals why Armo eyes are so big. The reason is endless historical struggles and difficulties that Armenian people had to fight against for many centuries. Armo eyes got so big because they got surprised at how they survived facing so many hazards.
Writings & Songs about Armenian Eyes
As we already mentioned, Armenian eyes inspired not only Armenian writes and authors, but also many foreign poets.
One of those inspired people is a famous Russian journalist and author Vladimir Posner who devoted one of his autobiography book’s chapters “Farewell to illusions” to his memories about Armenia. This is what he wrote particularly about Armenian eyes.
Eyes of the children (Armenian children) eyes were filled with just the same wisdom and sorrow as ones of grownups. At the moment, I had a strange and uncomfortable feeling because I assumed those children were wiser and more powerful at birth than I would be at the hour of my death.
At that moment, I realized that my culture, my civilization were nothing in comparison with what was preserved by them. These people managed to survive as a nation, keep their language, culture, land (the latter not completely enough though).
They are lineal descendants of people who lived long before the birth of Rome and before the Ancient Greece was created and rose, who were contemporaries of ancient Egyptians’, belonging to the era of first PharaohsVladimir Posner
Here is another composition about Armenian eyes. Prominent Armenian maestro Robert Amirkhanyan and lyricist Armenak Sargsyan (Sarmen) wrote the song “Hayi Acher” (Armenain Eyes). Take a look at the lyrics and check out the touching song.
|Armenian Text||English Text|
|Հայի աչքեր, սիրու՛ն աչքեր,||Armenian’s eyes, lovely eyes,|
|Սև ամպն էր ձեզ ծածկել դարեր,||The black cloud was to cover you for ages,|
|Սև վիշտն էր ձեզ մաշել, տանջել,||Black sorrow to gnaw you, torment,|
|Ձեզնից ժպիտն առել-տարել:||Taken away from you smile.|
|Լույսի լճակ` աչքեր տրտում||Light pond, eyes downcast|
|Այս ե՞րբ դարձաք այսպես խնդուն:||When you became so gleeful?|
Armenian People Physical Characteristics #2: Gorgeous Hair
According to the Armenian mythology, ancestor Hayk – forefather of Armenians had curly, golden hair reaching his shoulders. Today, some Armenians have curly and light-colored hair but Armenian people more commonly have dark – black or brown hair. Armenian hair is one of the most notable characteristics as a combination of dark and expressively curly or wavy hair.
Armenian Men & Women’s Hair
Traditionally, Armenian men, regardless of their social class, used to have long hair. Nowadays, short-cut hair is generally more widespread.
As for women, like traditional women, modern Armenian women mostly keep their hair long. It has always been acceptable for women to have long hair and comb them in a form of long and beautiful plaits.
Armenian People Physical Characteristics #3: Nose
- The Armenian nose is an aquiline nose, which for many Armenians is considered a sign of an aquiline character. Armenians compare their nose shape with almighty Armenian mountains: high, proud and honest.
- It is widely recognized that the Armenians have a big “Caucasian nose”, but it’s safe to say that it’s not really a “Caucasian nose”. It is an “Armenian nose”.
- Noticed the difference? Yes, Armenia and Caucasus differ in geographical, cultural, political, ethnic and many other aspects. Undoubtedly, because of many mixed marriages Armenian nose is spread among other Caucasian nations and Caucasian nose can be found among Armenians. But, it’s correct to differentiate between the initial shape.
- Armenians are always proud of their relatively large noses, considering them a significant part of their essence, and at the same time are very humorous about them.
- In 2014, there was even a premiere of the comedy “Qit Cut” (“qit” means “nose” in Armenian) in Yerevan State Chamber Theatre.
Armenian People Physical Characteristics #4: Hands
Hands are the next characteristic of Armenians’ physical appearance. Arms are also very pliable and rough. They are pliable because local people were actively practicing activities such as crafts, arts and medicine for centuries. Armenian hands are rough because they are hands of a nation, that was also busy in agriculture, construction and weapon crafting. Mountain life!
It is no surprise that Armenian nation is very good at wrestling and it is considered #1 sport in the country. Most of Olympic medal come to Armenia from wrestling.
Arms of Armenian men are very strong while those of women are nicely smooth. It is traditionally a fact that Armenians represent a very parent-oriented and especially mother-honoring nation. There is a number of songs and poems describing the uniqueness of Armenian women.
One of the most loved and popular Armenian poets – Paruyr Sevak – has devoted a wonderful poem to Armenian mothers’ hands as below.
Armenian People Physical Characteristics #5: Spine
Generally speaking, it can be said Armenians have long backbone. Men are strong, muscled and have a thick waist, which naturally is the key to their power. Likely to say, you do not want to fight with Armenian men!
Armenian women are thin and have long-spine. One of the features of their body structure is having a slim waist and wide thighs. Another important part of a description of Armenian women’s beauty is an expression of their back posture.
A famous Armenian ashugh (traditional Armenian singer or musician), “Sayat Nova” compared an Armenian woman with a plane tree, describing her as having long and thin spine just like the tree; saying “Your spine is like a plane tree”.
To add, taraz, a compound part of the Armenian traditional clothing, is the belt allowing women to emphasize their beautiful nice waist and beautiful posture.
Armenian People Physical Characteristics #6: Thick Eyebrows
The eyebrows are different and as various as eyes. Armenian men are distinguished by thick and long eyebrows which generally bend down to eyes. But here too, we can’t say for sure because it depends on people!
Armenian women are recognized as having arched eyebrows that hook on to the edge of their eyes. It is also recognized with the song about Nubar, a girl with arched eyebrows; “…Nubar’s height resembles that of a plane tree, a girl with arched eyebrows”.
Armenian People Physical Characteristics #7: Chest
It is an essential part of the Armenians’ physical characteristics description. Armenian men are mostly broad-shouldered. They have wide back and wide chest. Should we mention abs?!
As for women, despite their thin spine, they have a wide and significant breast too!
Armenian People Physical Characteristics #8: Mouth
The mouth of Armenians is not very big and not too small. It is mainly medium in size in general. Their lips are not too thick but not too thin. They are basically suitable and corresponding with face features. They have pink and lovely lips usually.
Armenian People Physical Characteristics #9: Height
Are Armenians taller than the average height in the world?
Actually, their height depends on the geographical region and is slightly above the average. It is also accepted that for their height, Armenian men are very heavy and masculine. As for younger boys, they are thin but with age, but after 35, many men turn up to have big bellies…
Armenian women are not very tall. The average height is 168 cm.
Armenian People Physical Characteristics #10: Skin Color
Skin color like height and hair type depends on the region where a certain person or his/her ancestors come from. Generally speaking, Armenians are recognized to have pink-white, dark white and light brown colors of skin.
Other Related Articles
- 10 Armenian girls you should know! See their photos and beauty
- 10 Armenian songs of music videos on youtube that you should give a try!
- 10 Armenian Men coolest among Armenian guys and boys!
- Interesting Facts About Armenia & Armenians | Those 10 things you should know!
- Where Are Armenians From? Ever Wondered? Find All Answers About Armenian Ancestry & DNA
- Armenian Mentality! Discover Top 12 Characteristic Features That All Armenians Have
- Armenian Ethnicity! What Is Ethnic Armenian? | Also Find Out What Other Ethnic Groups & Minorities There Are in Armenia!
At the end, we see all the mentioned characteristics come to prove that Armenians are a specific nationality just like any other nationality in the world!
With one difference – they are neither Europeans, nor Asians, not even Caucasians. Armenians both physically and genetically are considered to be a unique combination of all three, but at the same time, their genetic portrait consists of features that none of the mentioned race types has.