Armenian quotes and Armenian proverbs, just like those of any other nation, are simple, easily remembered expressions, known and repeated by people. Quotes and proverbs are simply an expression of the truth, based on Armenians’ daily life experience. There are many quotes in Armenian, as well as proverbs, that are used in people’s daily life.
Armenian quotes or proverbs naturally characterizes the face of this nation and its peculiarities. These quotes describe particular situations and with their help, Armenians express their feelings as well.
If you want to learn Armenian, we feel pretty sure that you should not miss that funny part of Armenian language and culture. Being an ancient nation, Armenians have carried their quotes and proverbs, including funny ones, through centuries. The Armenian quotes are as wise as this nation itself is.
And now, would you like to gain a little bit of knowledge about Armenian proverbs? If yes, we have prepared the funniest Armenian quotes and proverbs list and their best possible translation for you!
Armenian Quotes #1: Գելիի գլխին Ավետարան են կարդում, ասում է՝ շուտ արե՛ք, ոչխարը սարը անցավ:
- How to pronounce: Geli glkhin Avetaran en kardoom, asoom e, shoot arek, vochkhare sare antsav.
- Proverb translation: While they are reading the Bible to the Wolf, it says: ”Hurry up! My flock of sheep is leaving over the mountain!”.
It doesn’t matter how hard you try to make him or her understand that she/he is acting wrong , she/he doesn’t even want to listen and continues doing the same job .
Armenian quotes #2: Լավություն արա, ջուրը գցի. ձուկը չիմանա` Աստված կիմանա:
- How to pronounce: Lavootiun ara joore ghci, dzuke chimana, Astvats kimana.
- Proverb translation: Do goodness and cast onto the waters. Even if the fish won’t know, God will.
It also means that the goodness you do will return to you one day. This proverb is used to encourage someone who is disappointed. One says this sentence in order to give a hope and encourage him or her to carry on trying and doing good things without waiting a response.
Armenian Quotes #3: Մեկ գիժ քար գցեց հորը, քառասուն խելոք չկարողացան հանել:
- How to pronounce: Mek gizh qar gtsets hore, qarasoon kheloq chkaroghatsan hanel.
- Proverb translation: One idiot/crazy threw a stone into the water well, forty wise people could not get it out.
Armenian Quotes #4: Ինչքան լեզու գիտես` այնքան մարդ ես:
- How to pronounce: Inchqan lezu gites, aynqan mard es.
- Proverb translation: Depending on how many languages you know, that much of a human you are.
Speaking many languages means to think like the people of that countries which languages you are practicing. Catching,isn’t it? This makes you feel different each time you switch to the other foreign language.
So, this Armenian quote is also an encouragement for everyone to start to learn as many foreign languages as possible!
Armenian Quotes #5: Գողը գողից գողացավ, Աստված տեսավ զարմացավ:
- How to pronounce: Goghe goghic goghatsav, Astvats tesav zarmatsav.
- Proverb translation: One thief has robbed another thief, the God saw and got astonished from above.
Not every day, one can hear that a thief has been robbed, that’s why the quote makes people surprised.
Armenian Quotes #6: Գյուղ կանգնի՝ գերան կկոտրի:
- How to pronounce: Gyoogh kangni, geran kkotri.
- Proverb translation: If the whole village stands, it can even break a trunk.
If you study Armenian literature you may come across many times to this sort of funny situations where the author describes historical battles where the Armenians won due to their unity. And for the future they also call for unity, in order to keep their independence.
Armenian Quotes #7: Ունքը սարքելու փոխարեն աչքն էլ քոռացրեց:
- How to pronounce: Oonqe sarqelu pokharen, achqn el qoratsrets.
- Proverb translation: the quote in Armenian can be translated as one tried to fix the problem with the eyebrow, but ended up blinding the eye.
Armenian quotes #8: Էշի ականջում է քնել:
- How to pronounce: Eshi akanjoom e gnel.
- Proverb translation: One is sleeping in donkey’s ear.
There is also the second meaning for this Armenian quote: it stands for people who don’t listen to any advice. Or somebody who is too lazy to do or react to something. You can say: “You are sleeping in the donkey’s ear, wake up” to make someone work, or just bring them back to reality. Sounds quite funny, doesn’t it?
Armenian Quotes #9: Ինչ որ ցանես, այն կհնձես:
- How to pronounce: Inch vor tsanes, ayn khndzes.
- Proverb translation: Whatever you sow, that’s what you’ll reap.
This Armenian quote is very popular in Armenia. Don’t be surprised if you hear Armenians saying it too often.
Armenian Quotes #10: Խորամանկ աղվեսը երկու ոտքով է թակարդն ընկնում:
- How to pronounce: Khoramank aghvese yerkoo votqov e takardn ynknoom.
- Proverb translation: The sly fox falls in the trap with both legs.
In the Armenian fairy-tales, the fox is described as a sly and cunning animal which manages to escape from each bad situation. But the Armenians think that even the most cunning person can fall in the trap sooner or later.
Other Related Photos
- Armenian Dance, Explore the traditional music & dancing together!
- Armenian Art Introduction: recommended art gallery, artist and paintings picked up!
- Armenian Jokes in English: Best & Funny Armenian Humor Selected!
- Armenian Phrases | How to say Thank You in Armenian, Love Words & Greetings?