Armenian Railways is the rail operator of Armenia. Armenian railways draw back to its existence in early 1899.
The history of Armenian railways has been full of ups and downs. After the collapse old Soviet Union, the state of Armenian Railways was upsetting. Both the condition of trains and the tours were not satisfying.
Though train travel has always been one of the most desirable ways of travel in Armenia, the dramatic condition of Armenian railways needed to be improved as soon as possible.
So, today Armenian Railways is operated by South Caucasus railway by Russian railways. From 2008 worked on the modernization and operation of Armenian Railways. Now, South Caucasus Railways is one of the largest companies in Armenia.
Train travel has become much better equipped and convenient and is on its way of improving. Armenian Railways station in Yerevan is situated in Tigran Mets Avenue 50.
This old soviet era building will impress you with its immense size and interesting, or even somehow mysterious architecture. Here are some of the most recommended train travel tours which will become fun for you!
Armenian Railways Travel Destination #1: Yerevan-Sevan Train Travel
Good news for those who prefer spending splendid time near Lake Sevan. Armenian Railways offers a rather convenient and enjoyable Yerevan-Sevan tour.
The train passes through several railway-stations in Armenia. It takes off from Almast railway station from Yerevan.
- Hrazdan-Yerevan-Sevan tour starts every year from 16th of June. It works every day except Wednesdays. On working days, the train reaches till the Sevan station, however, on weekends it reaches till the Shorzha beach, which is much more convenient.
- The train takes off from Hrazdan railway at 6:45 and reaches Yerevan Almost railway at 8.10. The train arrives to Sevan at 10.59 and to Shorzha beach at 11.30.
- Train travel to Sevan is a rather cool variant. By the way, it’s rather affordable. It cost from 300 to 1000 AMD (60cent-2USD). In comparison with car travel train travel in Armenia is much more affordable and safe.
You can meet both families, friends who are enthusiastically hurrying to get to the Lake Sevan. However, don’t be surprised when reaching to your final destination, you don’t find the train station as you’ve imagined it.
Instead of it, you’ll find a rather rural style simple train station, but don’t be disappointed, all you need is to walk a bit to the beach. There you’ll definitely have a relaxing time admiring the beautiful Lake Sevan and sunny weather.
Armenian Railways Travel Destination #2: Yerevan-Tbilisi-Yerevan
Yerevan-Tbilisi-Yerevan is one of the most demanded train travel destination. In comparison with Yerevan-Sevan summer train Yerevan-Tbilisi-Yerevan train works the whole year.
Yerevan Tbilisi destination was stopped for a while because of works on Armenian Railways, however, it started its active routine again. Many people prefer train travel to Tbilisi from Armenia as it’s rather affordable and convenient.
Armenian Railways constantly organizes special tours to Tbilisi which are also quiet a good variant for travel. The tours may last from 1 to 3 days. In this case, your short trip to Tbilisi may become much more interesting, during which you can make new friend from other members of the tour.
The train travel to Tbilisi lasts about 9 hours. You are free to bring your food and drink to train. The food service of the train is not very large in choice. Though it will last longer than car travel. Believe us it’s much more preferable and safer way to travel.
Armenian Railways Travel Destination #3: Yerevan-Gyumri-Yerevan
Gyumri is the second largest city in Armenia. Getting to Gyumri by train is the cheapest and best way of travel. Besides being extremely affordable the train travel gives you opportunity to admire marvelous nature of Armenia.
Armenian Railways is constantly improving both the condition of travel conveniences in train and the schedules making them more convenient for travelers.
- Starting from 2014 the train travel to Gyumri and from Gyumri has become 3 times instead of 2.
- The train can comprise about 400 passengers.
- The train takes off from Yerevan in 8.35, 11:45, and 18:10, every day.
In comparison with car travel, train travel to Gyumri is much more preferable. Besides being affordable, it also gives the passengers opportunity to feel free: to lie to move. Though the car-travel to Gyumri may be a bit faster, it is not always punctually on time, safe and convenient.
If you are planning to take a train tour to Gyumri on late hours, be ready not to find any bus moving from the bus railway station. So, in this case you will have to take a taxi. The trains are said to have WiFi connection as well, however, not always may they work properly.
Armenian Railways Travel Destination #4: Yerevan-Batumi
Yerevan-Batumi train is also a seasonal train which starts working on the heated summer season, when everybody is looking forward to spend their holidays at the sea.
- The train starts its tours every year from 15th of June
- Travel to Batumi lasts 15 hours
- Train takes off from Yerevan at 15:30
- The travel is quiet cozy. It gives you opportunity to choose the class you want.
- Prices vary from 11000 to 24000 AMD ($22-$50)
- The most expensive and also the convenient class is CV class planned for two places
The train takes off ever day in summer season from Sasuntsi Davit train station, which is the central train station of Armenian Railways.
It stops at Armenian-Georgian border for about an hour. The western travelers do not have any visa required to enter Georgia, so everything is quite easy and fast.
Armenian Railways Travel Destination #5: Yerevan-Ararat
Yerevan Ararat tour is the cheapest and fastest tour in Armenia.
- It costs 300 drams (60 cents) moreover with 50% discount for students
- The train leaves twice a day at 9.30 and 14:10
- The travel lasts maximum 63 minutes
Armenian Railways launched this electric train in 2009, in order to expand the network of local railway transfers. It’s a great solution especially for the students who are studying in Yerevan universities, but living in other provinces of Armenia.
They don’t have to spend their time and money in bus station. By the way, all tickets of the train get available 40 days prior to the departure.
Other Related Posts Of Armenian Railways! The Safest and The Most Fun Journey | Travel To Armenia By Train & Enjoy The Scenery
- 10 Travel Guides about Gyumri in Armenia | Find Out What is Interesting for You about the City
- Armenia Travel Agency Selection | 10 Travel Agencies in Armenia You Should Consider
- Tbilisi-Yerevan Trip? Options like Train, Taxi, Bus are available! Find them out here!
- English Documentary About Armenia | Find 4 Amazing Travel Experiences Through Documentary Armenia