Arno Babajanyan is one of the most distinguished Armenian composers of all time not only owing to his unlimited talent, but also to his incredible sense of music and art.
Beloved Armenian composer Arno Babajanyan is popular not only in Armenia, but outside its borders. He is the composer that brilliantly portrays the image of Yerevan in his music.
Overall, all his songs are distinct with openness, rich, brilliant melodies and with optimism towards life.
Babajanyan was truly one of the greatest composers of his time and can be included in the list of such world-renowned composers as Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Aram Khachaturian, Franz Schubert and many others.
He composed jazz, classic and popular music, that’s why he is considered to be a composer with the most diverse styles.
Arno Babajanyan is also famous for composing many Soviet movie soundtracks. You can listen to some of them here.
More interesting stuff is waiting for you down below. So, just keep scrolling!
Arno Babajanyan is One of the Best Armenian Virtuosos of the 20th Century
World renowned and just boundlessly talented Arno Babajanyan is one of the most outstanding Armenian composers and pianists of the Soviet era.
Interestingly enough, one of his songs that brought him the widest recognition was Nocturne of Babajanyan. And even after so many years, this and many other songs are still popular and beloved.
Moreover, nocturne notes may sound familiar to many foreigners as well. Even if you have not heard of Babajanyan, you have definitely heard nocturne notes, as it appeared in many movies and TV shows.
His extraordinary talent for the music was visible already by the age of five. Can you guess who discovered his talent? A World-class composer, Aram Khachaturian himself! After seeing little Babajanyan, he said that the boy should be given proper music training.
- So, at the age of 7 this wunderkind entered Yerevan State Musical Conservatory.
- In 1938, at the age of 17, Arno Babajanyan moved to live in Russia and continued his studies of music in Moscow.
- But after some years he returned to his homeland and started to teach at the Yerevan State conservatory.
- Afterwards, he started a tour throughout the whole Soviet Union and Europe. By the way, his concerts were always sold-out.
- Although, Arno Babajanyan was active in many musical genres and wrote many popular and academic song, his music was greatly inspired by Armenian folk music and folklore.
- But even the way he used Armenian folklore is very specific and in the most virtuosic style. As he once mentioned about his music, whatever he wrote, it immediately became Armenian.
- Furthermore, Arno Babajanyan was not only a magnificent composer, but a brilliant pianist as well and even sometimes performed his own works in concert halls.
Interesting Facts You May Want to Know about Arno Babajanyan
- Arno Babajanyan has many awards and prizes that are the evidence of his artistic talent and great skills. Among his notable awards are: The Stalin Prize, People’s Artist of the Soviet Union, Armenian SSR State Prize and some others.
- Arno Babajanyan successfully collaborated with such prominent Russian poets and composers as Robert Rozhdestvensky, Evgeny Evtushenko, Andrei Voznesensky, Dmitri Shostakovich and many others.
- Additionally, among the performers of his classic music you can find such great names as Mstislav Rostropovich, Emil Gilels, L. N. Vlasenk, etc. Among the famous singers of his popular music were Muslim Magomaev, Joseph Kobzon and Anna German.
- Music of Arno Babajanyan was heard not only in Armenia but also in the USA, Czechoslovakia, England, even in the far Africa and many other countries. So, it’s not surprising that the musical heritage and legacy of Arno Babajanyan in Armenia is immense.
Arno Babajanyan’s Legacy
- To list some of them let’s say that you can find the picture of Arno Babajanyan in Armenian stamps. Also, there are many statues and plaques in his honor, such as his most popular statue located near Swan Lake and Opera House, that already became one of the must-see landmarks of central Yerevan. By this token, this statue depicts the bright, dynamic and artistic personality and explosive musicality of Arno Babajanyan.
- Probably one of the biggest achievements of Armenia in the sphere of professional musical education is Yerevan State Musical-Pedagogical College after Arno Babajanyan. During its 50 years of history this college gave professional education to around 5000 students, some of which are already honored artists and laureates.
- In 2011, the college, along with the Ministry of Education, organized “Arno Babajanyan International Competition-Festival for Junior and Young Pianists”. And today, this competition-festival has already become a tradition that brings together a huge number of fans of Arno Babajanyan’s piano music.
- Another legacy of this Armenian composer is Arno Babajanyan Concert Hall. Founded in 1916 this concert hall is situated on the ground floor of the Museums’ building of the Republic square, on Abovyan Street. Before getting the present name, this concert hall was called “Small hall of Armphilharmony” and was designed for 300 spectators. This concert hall after Arno Babajanyan was officially named after him in 2005.
The Best Songs & Compositions of Arno Babajanyan #1 | Nocturne
Without any doubt, we can state that the most frequently performed composition of Arno Babajanyan is Nocturne.
The lyrics of this song is written by famous Russian poet, Robert Rozhdestvensky and Nocturne notes are written by Babajanyan.
By the way, main performers of this beautiful composition are Joseph Kobzon and Muslim Magomayev.
However, other famous singers made covers of this song as well. This divine music is timeless and will be always beloved and appreciated.
Also, if anybody is interested in reproducing the amazing melody of this composition, then you can find Nocturne notes below.
The Best Songs & Compositions of Arno Babajanyan #2 | Song of the First Love
Arno Babajanian reached to the peak of popularity especially after the release of his famous title song for the film “Song of the First Love”.
It’s noteworthy that this composition was popular radio hit and the best-selling record during 1960-1965 in the former Soviet Union.
In the movie, this composition was sung by the most prominent Armenian actor Khoren Abrahamyan, but actually the real recording voice was of Sergei Davtian.
By the way, this song has both Armenian and Russian variants.
The Best Songs & Compositions of Arno Babajanyan #3 | Elegy
It will take us ages to enlist all the best songs and compositions of Arno Babajanian, as all his works are noteworthy and remarkable.
Many Armenian celebrities were just in love with his talent and Armenian beloved artist Khoren Abrahamyan was among them.
He used to repeat that Babajanian was the most talented artist of the Armenian reality in the 20th century as God gifted him greatest charisma and genius.
Among other significant compositions of Arno Babajanian are “Pretty Girl of Yerevan” (both in Armenian and Russian versions), Dreams, Elegy and others.
Other Related Posts of Arno Babajanyan | Enjoy His Music, Songs! Discover Nocturne Notes & His Legacy (Concert Hall, Awards in His Honor) and Many More
- Armenian Composers of Top 5, Famous Armenians for Music
- Spartacus by Aram Khachaturian, Armenian Composer | A must-listen Classic Music
- Tigran Hamasyan, An Armenian Pianist & Virtuoso | Enjoy Top 4 Compositions By Him, Including Mockroot!
- KOHAR Symphony Orchestra and Choir | Top 7 Performances, History of Establishment, Breakout Tours & Concerts!