Arthur Abraham is a professional Armenian boxer who is former IBF Middleweight Champion and two-time WBO Super Middleweight Champion.
Boxing in Armenia is one of the most popular sport branches and its most beloved and successful representative is Arthur Abraham.
He is always in the center of attention with constant rumors about his family, career, net worth and many other topics.
So, if you want to find out something interesting about him, just stay tuned with us.
Arthur Abraham: Highlights of His Biography
Let’s go back to the early period of Arthur Abraham’s biography and find out how was the beginning of his phenomenal career.
This prominent and much talented Armenian boxer was born on 20 February, 1980 in the capital of Armenia, Yerevan. In 2003, he graduated from juridical faculty of Yerevan State University. He recorded his most brilliant career achievements of his biography becoming two-weight world champion.
He held the IBF middleweight title (from 2005 to 2009) and the WBO super-middleweight title double times (from 2012 to 2016).
Arthur Abraham was a front runner in sports right from the beginning of his childhood. Indeed, as a teenager he was really interested in cycling and even became the North Bavarian and Franconian Youth Champion.
However, his life and interests completely changed after watching an exciting fight with his role model, Mike Tyson. He was greatly inspired by Tyson’s strength, intensity and energy and dreamed of becoming an outstanding boxing star like him. And actually, he managed.
When this Armenian boxer was 15 years old he moved to Germany along with his parents and brothers. However, after four years, in 1999 they returned to their motherland for military service.
After all the brothers finished their military service, they returned to Germany again.
Arthur Abraham: The One and Only World Champion in 2 weight Classes
As we already mentioned above, Arthur Abraham moved to Germany in 2004 and immediately started his boxing career. He started his first amateur records in 1997 when he became an International Junior Welterweight German Champion.
Also, three times, he became Senior Light Middleweight Armenian Champion correspondingly in 2000, 2001 and 2002.
Can you imagine that just as an amateur he played 90 bouts and recorded 81 victories? While watching some of this skilful Armenian boxer’s fights, the well-known German boxing coach, Ulli Wegner was so impressed and exited that he took the initiative to train him.
With the help of his coach, Arthur Abraham soon began to blow the competition away and win Championships of World Associations. Thus, he started his professional career in 2003, at the age of 23, and instantly managed to show impressive results and victories.
During the early stage of his career, he defeated such great boxers as Ian Gardner (The Cobra), former WBO Champion Hector Velazco and even the most honorable Howard Eastman.
Overall, the professional career path of this outstanding Armenian boxer is really spectacular. Want a proof? At the moment, he held 50 bouts of which he lost only 5 fights. Furthermore, he won 30 fights by knockouts.
Arthur Abraham: The Real King of the Ring
Battle#1: Arthur Abraham vs. Edison Miranda
After his two splendid triumphs over Edison Miranda, he became quite popular and obtained sport recognition as an “undefeated and unrivaled” sportsman.
During the battle of 23 September, 2006, he took the victory against the undefeated Edison Miranda and entered into the boxing history. As he had to go through the eight rounds with his jaw broken in two sides, Miranda took his advantage and started fighting dirty.
As the Armenian boxer commented;
Under those circumstances, Arthur Abraham’s jaw was operated and since then two titanium plates along with 22 screws hold his jaw together.
Ultimately, Arthur never fights without his confidence that he will win. As he once said, “I want to make it clear once and for all who the champion is here”.
Battle#2: Arthur Abraham vs. Jermain Taylor
In 2009, this Armenian boxer made a new step in his biography and accepted the invitation of the tournament of the best super middleweights, known as the Super Six World Boxing Classic.
He competed for the WBA and WBC Super Middleweight titles. His first bout in this tournament was with former Middleweight champion Jermaine Taylor. Arthur managed to impress everyone with his unique fight style.
For a couple of rounds, he let his opponent come at him and only in the 12 round he went after Taylor. This Armenian boxer defeated him via such a devastating knockout that Taylor was hospitalized. As a result, he had a severe concussion and suffered from a short-term memory loss.
Can you imagine that even the legendary Mike Tyson attended that bout? In Addition, he had a high praise for Arthur Abraham and was greatly impressed by his intensity and determination.
Some Honorable Mentions
At the moment, this unbeaten German-based Armenian is preparing for his next fight with Robin Krasniq. The World Boxing Organization has ordered a purse bid with the minimum bid of $300,000. It will take place on April 22, 2017 in Erfurt, so make sure that you won’t miss your opportunity to watch this talented boxer in action.
In 2009, American boxing magazine “The Ring” ranked Arthur Abraham as the #14th best boxer in the world. In 2010, sports news website “Yahoo! Sports” ranked him in the 8th position as the best boxer in the world.
The boxing public expressed its gratitude towards this Armenian boxer and elected him as the best boxer. Correspondingly, in the years of 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2012, he was voted as the “Boxer of the Year” in Germany.
Check Out Some Interesting Facts about Arthur Abraham
Facts about His Personal Life
- Arthur Abraham’s real name is Avetik Abrahamyan and his family members call him “Avo”. What’s even more striking is that his nickname in boxing industry is nothing more than “King Arthur” that he obtained from the press.
- Since 2006, he is also a citizen of Germany
- His little brother, Alexander Abraham, is also a well-known and professional boxer.
- This famous Armenian boxer is a real patriot. Two of his most important victories he dedicated to the participants of Nagorno-Karabakh Liberation War and to the memory of the Armenian Genocide victims
- The former most wanted fiancé of Armenia is now married to a beautiful Armenian girl, Mary. Recently they had a boy, named after his father, Gregory
- As soon as he retires, he plans to open a boxing academy in Armenia.
Facts about his Career
- In 2012, Arthur Abraham became the second Armenian (after Vic Darchinyan) and the first German who became two-division world champion
- Guess who accompanied him by their live performances during two of his matches? The Scorpions!
- It may sound a little bit weird but Arthur Abraham participated in the dance show organized by RTL TV, known as Let’s Dance. After some period, he left the show for concentrating on his boxing career
- In 2013, he was included in the list of judges for “Miss Germany 2013” beauty pageant
- In 2013, well-known German actor and producer Til Schweiger invited his old fellow Arthur Abraham to play in his film, called “Crime Scene”. He played the role of a pimp who was a leader of a gang. By the way, Til was very pleased by his acting
- The information about Arthur Abraham’s net worth is quite restricted. Nevertheless, according to a source his total net worth was estimated about $30 Million in 2016.
- Are there any box lovers? Arthur Abraham has a Real Boxing Academy, which is an 8-week online training program with him. It will help you to learn all the basics of boxing, numerous effective combinations and techniques. Those who are interested can go by the following link.