Artur Aleksanyan is an Olympic champion, Armenian wrestler in Greco-Roman style, in the category of 98 kg in Rio 2016 Olympic. Here, Find out about his height, trainings and Facebook page etc.
Artur Aleksanyan, or the Polar Bear/Whire Bear, as he is usually called, is an Armenian Olympic Champion, better to say the first Olympic champion from Armenia in the 21st century.
After the glorious victory of this Olympic Champion in summer Olympic games of Rio in 2016, many people started digging into Aleksanyan’s life in every possible way – in public, on facebook, etc.
People are interested in everything; how much he earns, how much his height is , which is his facebook profile, how he eats, trains and lives, whether he is married, who his family are, etc.
Let’s try to discover Artur Aleksanyan and try to answer most of these questions!
Artur Aleksanyan Before Rio
- Perhaps one of the most renowned sportsmen of Armenia, Artur Aleksanyan, was born in Gyumri in a family of sportsmen. Except for his sport career, Artur also pursued higher education in Gyumri State Pedagogical Institute.
- Aleksanayn has various medals and awards from different championships. Of course, most important ones are European Championship, World Championship and Olympic games.
- At the age of 25, Aleksanyan holds all of the above mentioned titles, some of them twice or more. According to his coaches, that is the result of Artur’s hard work, commitment and endless trainings.
- In one of his interviews, the wrestler described his daily routine the following way. He has two trainings a day, one training in the morning and one training in the afternoon till evening. He sleeps in between trainings in the afternoon, eats healthy, even though he admits, that sometimes its hard to resist sweets and candies.
Artur Aleksanyan: Rio 2016
There is no doubt that Rio 2016 Summer Olympic Games was the most successful one in the history of Armenia, since its independence. Armenia hasn’t have an Olympic Gold for 20 years. Everyone had very high hopes for this year of 2016.
Even before the Armenian delegation’s arrival in Rio, everyone in Armenia was counting on Artur Aleksanyan to bring the Gold medal to Armenia. It was obvious; he was the last three year’s favorite in 98 kg category.
He was a three-times European Champion, twice a world champion. After becoming 2016 World Champion, no one doubted that he had all the chances to live the moment of glory.
Not Every Battle Came Easy! But, You Can’t Take Elevator to Success, Only Stairs Are Available
- The first battle was very much worrying. Aleksanyan appeared on the mat with dark circles under the eyes, looked pale and tried. The whole battle was very intense, but fortunately he overcame, whatever worried him, and defeated the Italian wrestler.
- The second battle was pretty easy for him. It didn’t take him much effort to defeat Romanian wrestler. That lead Artur to the semi-final.
- In the semi-final Aleksanyan met his “all-time favourite” opponent Cenk Ildem from Turkey. Over the last 5 years, the Turkish wrestler and Aleksanyan have met at least in one battle every year, even though Cenk Ildem never managed to win. It was pretty clear, Turkish wrestler was not going to win this time, either. In fact he not only lost, he was defeated with the score 9:0. It took Artur Aleksanayn only two and a half minutes to take his victory.
- This victory secured his place in the final, where he was competing with Daniel Lugo Cabrerra from Cuba for the Olympic title. The whole battle went very tense, since both wrestlers were very powerful, but eventually Aleksanyan won the Gold medal with the score of 3:0.
Celebration of Artur Aleksanyan’s Victory in Rio 2016
The president of Armenia, Serj Sargsyan and the president of the National Olympic Committee of Armenia, Gagik Tsaroukyan were present at the last battle of Artur Aleksanyan. Media cameras fixed the moment when both were happily celebrating Aleksanyan’s victory, right in the Stadium in Rio.
Meanwhile, it is almost impossible to describe how insane the mood in Armenia was . People were celebrating his victory in every possible way. There were fireworks, car parades, singing and dancing.
But we have to admit, that the craziest moments occurred right after the minute the delegation of athletes entered Zavrtnots Airport in Yerevan. Seemed like everyone in the republic was in the airport. All athletes were welcomed as heroes and were carried on shoulders of fans.
Artur Aleksanyan was receiving congratulations from everywhere. Famous rapper The Game posted Aleksanyan’s photo on his Instagram with a description, where he called out for Artur’s victory.
He also received many state honors both in Armenia and Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh). Aleksanyan holds the title of honorary citizen of his hometown Gyumri.
Artur Aleksanyan in Commercials
Artur Aleksanyan is strongly committed to his job and proved to be the best wrestler on the planet in 98 kg category. He is also believed to be one of the most attractive sportsmen in Armenia. He is one of the tallest sportsmen as well. Aleksanyan’s height is 190 cm.
With a very typical Armenian face features, but with a very light skin, hair and eye color, Artur attracted the attention of many marketers.
In 2016 Artur Aleksanyan became the brand face of the telecommunication company UCOM, that has been sponsoring Armenian Olympic delegation. In September UCOM announced that Aleksanyan will receive a house as a present.
Artur Aleksanyan: Olympic Scandal
Come to think of it, has there ever been a single Olympic season without, at least, a one scandal? No! Never! Practically, almost every country has been under spotlight for some reason, but not Armenia. This year it was slightly different.
Surprisingly, Armenia was in the center of two scandals. The first scandal was about Migran Arutyunyan (Armenian wrestler) being cheated out of gold medal, very unfairly. It was a huge scandal, especially among sport lovers and professionals.
The second scandal was right after the first one, literally 2 hours later.
The man on the t-shirt was Robert Abajyan. He was a 19 years old junior sergeant, who, along with many other soldiers, died during 4-day April war in Artsakh (Nagorno Karabakh). His posthumously received the highest honorary title – “Hero of Artsakh”.
Azerbaijani Media’s Reaction
Right after Artur Aleksanyan’s appearance with the t-shirt, Azerbaijani media and national Olympic committee started a huge hysteria about the incident, calling it a political message to Azerbaijan.
As anything political is forbidden during Olympic games, especially demonstrated by the athletes, Azerbaijani Olympic committee misinterpreted the meaning of Aleksanyan’s attempt and called the International Olympic committee to punish Aleksanyan by depriving him from Gold medal.
Eventually, International Olympic committee came out with a conclusion, that Aleksanyan’s attempt didn’t involve any political message, it was just a tribute to a national hero, which, by no means refers to Azerbaijan.
This announcement didn’t please Azerbaijani side and they tried to provoke more hysteria in media. Anyway, it didn’t work, since Artur Aleksanyan continues to hold the Olympic Champion’s title.
Artur Aleksanyan: Private Life and Social Media
It’s very natural that, especially after the title of the Olympic Champion, public attention to Artur Aleksanyan increased immensely.
It is known that Artur Aleksanyan is not the only member of the family, who is in sports. His father Gevorg Aleksanyan is an honored coach of Armenia in Greco-Roman wrestling. He is Artur’s personal coach and the director of Greco-Roman wrestling school, named after Artur Aleksanyan, in Gyumri.
Aleksanyan’s brother, Rafael Aleksanyan is also a Greco-Roman wrestler, though he never reached high peaks, as his younger brother. Both brothers claimed, that they had a desire in childhood to become footballers. Later, they both followed their father’s and uncle’s path.
My dad and my uncle, were both wrestlers, they were both very powerful sportsmen, but for some reason couldn’t reach the heights they wanted. As a child, I made a decision that, I will become a wrestler and will reach the Olympic Champion’s height. It was something that my uncle, dad and brother couldn’t succeed to do. I felt it was my responsibility to do it and I did it!Artur Aleksanyan on his decision to become a Greco-Roman wrestler
Other Related Posts of Artur Aleksanyan, a champion at Rio 2016 | Find out his Facebook, Height, Training
- Albert Azaryan | A Legendary Armenian Gymnast & Olympic Champion
- Armenian Athletes Selection | Boxers, Footballers, Wrestlers Armenians are Proud of
- Armenian Wrestling, #1 Sport in the Country | Discover Top 5 Wrestlers & Champions
- Armenians By Origin | 7 Famous People of Armenian Descent Who Changed The World!