Gazaros Aghayan is a great Armenian poet, pedagogue and public speaker. His contribution in the Armenian literature in invaluable.
If you ask any Armenian about Ghazaros Aghayan, you’ll definitely get the answer that he was a brilliant poet. But the other thing that is for sure, most of them will tell you about his colorful fairy tales.
Every Armenian child grew up hearing Aghayan’s masterpiece fairy tales.Ghazaaros Aghayan was even honored with the title “Children’s writer”. Ghazaros Aghayan is a real hero for Armenian children.
His every poem, novel and fairy tale is full of positive vibes and is loved very much. So, know about this brilliant Armenian writer more in details below.
Ghazaros Aghayan’s Timeline of Life
- Ghazaros Aghayan got his basic education in his village and to the local priest of the village Shamshula.
- Aghayan was admitted to the Nersisyan School of Tiflis in 1853. The school was one of the most prestigious schools of those times.
- Later, he left the school on his own will and continued getting self-education. Young Ghazaros Aghayan dedicated himself to self-education, which he did with great success.
- It is known that Ghazaros Aghayan was fond of reading very mush and hardly missed any book of classic writers.
- Ghazaros Aghayan used to work as a typesetter in Tiflis, Moscow and Saint-Petersburg.
- In 1867, he returned to his motherland and works as a manager of Etchimadzin publishing house. There he worked as a teacher in several schools of different Armenian cities.
- Ghazaros Aghayan was suspected and chased because of his political views.
- The popularity of Ghazaros Aghayan especially raised as a great representative of Armenian children in literature. Besides poems and fairy tales, Ghazaros Aghayan is also an author of Armenian school textbooks. His most famous textbooks were in use for about 40 years.
- Ghazaros Aghayan’s input as a pedagogue was great. His main stimulus of life were children. He aimed to bring up educated, intelligent and with high moral values generation. His pedagogical tactics were thoroughly against to the stereotypes of that times in Armenian schools.
- Ghazaros Aghayan was more innovative and humane. His idea fell into rejecting physical methods of punishing a kid and giving him kindness and understanding instead.
Ghazaros Aghayan and Armenian Literature
Ghazaros Aghayan belongs to those Armenian writers who tried himself in various styles, including poems, novels, fairy tales etc.
His first poem “Need to help the poor” was published in 1862. The other renowned work of Ghazaros Aghayan was an autobiographical Novel called “Arutiun and Manvel”. By the way, Ghazaros Aghayan was the first who brought autobiographical novel genre into Armenian literature.
The whole idea of the novel lays into the struggle against ignorance and narrow mindedness of human being. The concept of his poems and novels was also connected with freedom love and equality. Those kinds of topics were not widely accepted in stereotyped Armenian literature.
However, Ghazaros Aghayan preferred being revolutionary having his own input rather than follow the old fashioned and limited standards. Talking about the heritage of Ghazaros Aghayan’s literature and skiping fairy tales would be unfair. Ghazaros Aghayan is especially widely known for his unique fairy tales.
Ghazaros Agahyan’s Poems & Fairy Tales #1: Tork Angegh
The ideal human being of Ghazaros Aghayan is vividly reflected in his poem called Tork Angegh. Tork Angegh was an ancient hero of Armenian mythology, which was known for his ugly appearance. The is the reason for getting his name Angegh, which means ugly in Armenian.
According to Armenian historian, Movses Khorenatsi, Tork Angegh had extraordinary strength. He was able to carry immense rocks, hurl the borders across the seas and draw pictures on the rocks with his fingernails.
Because of his not attractive appearance Tork was rejected by people, as they were scared of him. The legend of Tork Angegh deeply inspired Ghazaros Aghayan, so he decided to write the poem about him.
Ghazaros Agahyan’s Poems & Fairy Tales #2: Anahit
Anahit is one of the most famous Fairy tales of Ghazaros Aghayan. Every Armenian child has probably known every single word of this wonderful fairy tale by heart.
Anahit is a unique fairy tale about kindness, hardworking nature and fairness. The fairy tale also reflects typical Armenian spirit. “Ananhit” contains lots of Armenian colorings and national elements.
By the way Anahit will give kids proper knowledge about history and geography.
Ananhit was animated in 2014. After the cartoon, Anahit become so much widely loved and recognized especially among today’s children.
While being screened in cinemas, the movie tickets of Anahit were already sold out, as all parents hurried to bring their children and introduce them to the masterpiece of Ghazaros Aghayan.
Ghazaros Agahyan’s Poems & Fairy Tales #3: The Swallow
The poem swallow written by Ghazaros Aghayan is one of his most touching poems. This extraordinarily heartbreaking poem is absolutely a must-read. There is so much tenderness, which will not leave anyone indifferent.
The poem tells a sad story about a swallow which builds his nest. However, she builds it with sorrow, as by building her new nest she remembers her old nest which was destroyed and chicks were eaten by the wolf.
But the swallow appeared to be strong enough not to give up and built her new nest with new hopes. The poem is unique as it’s perfect to read both for children and adults. However, in different ages you understand it in different ways.
Ghazaros Agahyan’s Poems & Fairy Tales #4: Aregnazan
Aregnazan is another unique fairy tale highly appreciated not only among Armenians, but also by other nations. It is very special in its style and plot. That means you won’t meet typical good or bad characters in this fairy tale.
Though Aregnazan was intended for children, the interest towards it by adults was not less. Aregnazan is a story of an ordinary girl. However, she is ordinary only at the first sight.
Being a girl, Aregnazan was not very much fond of typical girly things. She is more interested in martial art and weapons. Besides those, Aregnazan is also very courageous and brave. Like in all fairy tales, Ghazaros Aghayan puts special Armenian spirit in every novel, poem and fairly tale.
Other Related Posts Of Ghazaros Aghayan | The Ultimate Poet Whose Poems & Novels Children Adore
- Paruyr Sevak | His Poems in English & Quotes
- Vahan Teryan & His Poems in English! To know Armenian Poetry
- Hovhannes Tumanyan Introduction with his Poems in English
- Education In Armenia | What Makes Literacy Rate in Armenia 99%? Find More About Educational System of Armenia & History of Armenian Education
- National Library of Armenia Is A Real Paradise For Book Gurus! Discover The Rich Heritage Of Armenian Books & Literature