KOHAR Symphony Orchestra and Choir is internationally acclaimed for its fantastic shows and performances in every corner of the world.
KOHAR is the most popular Armenian symphony orchestra and choir. Performing mostly Armenian folk music and compositions, KOHAR is well-known also outside Armenian communities in the world.That’s because their music and approach is universal ans is able to touch everyone’s heart.
This Armenian orchestra has positioned itself as an institution with a noble aim to revive and promote the Armenian culture and music as a renewed oath for the new generations.
Except the wonderful music they perform, this orchestra has quite interesting history of development and success. So, let’s take a closer look and find interesting stuff about KOHAR, its formation and other juicy details.
KOHAR Symphony Orchestra and Choir: How It All Started?
As an independent musical and cultural institution, KOHAR Symphony Orchestra and Choir (mostly popular as KOHAR) was established in 1997.
The founder of this orchestra is Armenian culture patron Harout Khatchadourian. Along with his brothers, Shahe and Nar Khatchadourian, they strengthened and widened the activities of KOHAR.
By the way according to them, all concerts of KOHAR are in loving memory of their father, Aram. Furthermore, the orchestra is named in honor of their mother Kohar.
Initially, it started as a symphony orchestra playing Armenian and other popular compositions and well-known symphonies, under the lead of Creative Director and Conductor, Sebouh Abcarian of Cyprus.
However, later the KOHAR Choir was formed to accompany the work of the KOHAR Symphony Orchestra.
Consisting of more than 150 musicians,12 singers and a 15-member dance ensemble, KOHAR quickly became popular in Lebanon. They started attracting great interest and admiration not only among locals but outside the country as well.
During the course of its almost 20-year existence, KOHAR Symphony Orchestra and Choir has become an important cornerstone in the unique rendition of Armenian music and culture.
It has its special place in the preservation of the Armenian heritage for future generations.
Breakout International Tours of KOHAR
- It was in 2002 when KOHAR started its first major international tour, called “All Time Armenian Favorites”. The kick off was in Cyprus and Lebanon.
- The income from the tickets was entirely allocated to the victims of the Turkish invasion, Cyprus Refugee Fund.
- The concert in Beirut was a glorifying moment for the history of modern Armenian music. The mix of traditional and popular songs brought many into tears.
- In September of the same year, KOHAR performed in the heart of Armenia, Yerevan.
- Their international success continued in 2005, the year of their concert tour in Istanbul, Turkey. The concert was held at Lutfi Kirdar Concert Hall, with over 7000 Armenians in the audience.
- KOHAR’s enormous triumph reached to its peak in 2006, when KOHAR performed an unprecedented concert at the Grand Hall of the Kremlin, in Moscow. Approximately 12,000 people in the audience enjoyed the unique performance for the first time.
- KOHAR conquered major cities of the USA and Canada, such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal.
- The peak was sold out concert in New York’s Carnegie Hall at the end of 2007.
- The most important and interesting appearance for the Armenian audience was in 2011 when KOHAR showcased its largest concert with the most famous and beloved Stars of Armenia at Liberty Square, near the Opera House.
- The star-studded concert brought together the most popular Armenian singers who performed with KOHAR Symphony Orchestra and Choir.
- There were more than 10,000 spectators and tens of thousands TV and Internet viewers from Armenia and abroad. All were stunned and amazed by KOHAR’s concert that was one of the biggest shows ever performed in Armenia.
Noteworthy Performances of KOHAR #1 | Veraganknir Guiliguia
During the course of its long-time existence, KOHAR has proven itself as an important cornerstone Armenian music industry with its unique musical and creative renditions of Armenia’s favorite songs.
“Veraganknir Guiliguia” has already become the most beloved and expected composition by KOHAR. It’s like a signature song of KOHAR Symphony Orchestra and Choir.
This composition is performed in almost every “All Time Armenian Favorites” concert of KOHAR. It is a majestic and very patriotic Armenian song that celebrates the rich Armenian musical and cultural heritage.
“Veraganknir Guiliguia” is a very positive and energizing composition that shows the significance of the glorious country of all Armenians.
Noteworthy Performances of KOHAR #2 | Babenagan Guiliguia
Another wonderful composition dedicated to the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia is “Babenagan Guiliguia” that topped the charts in Armenia as the #1 song for about 8 weeks.
For the music video of this melodic composition, KOHAR cooperated with some well-known Armenian stars, such as Gor Sujyan, Arame, Andre, Inga and Anush Arshakyans, Eva Rivas, Hayko, Shushan Petrosyan, Tata Simonyan and some others.
Noteworthy Performances of KOHAR #3 | Donajazz
Another example of fantastic and outstanding exhibition of creativity and great music is the most popular composition of KOHAR “Donajazz”.
This composition is enhanced with unique elements that make it a real masterpiece. It’s a beautiful jazz remake of one of the most beloved and famous Armenian songs of all time “Hey jan, Yerevan”.
Noteworthy Performances of KOHAR #4 | Tetmajazz
Another succeeded composition from KOHAR that we also recommend you to listen is Tetmajazz, the coolest rendering of a popular Armenian song. By the way, literally translated in English Tetmajazz (Դդմաճազ) means “pumpkin jazz’.
Noteworthy Performances of KOHAR #5 | Nazan Im Yary
Want to listen to an authentic Armenian folk song that will fill you with crazy energy for the rest of the day?
KOHAR has something brilliant to offer you. “Nazan Im Yary” (also known as Hoy, Nazan Im Yary) is a beautiful song full of Armenian spirit.
In the performance of KOHAR Symphony Orchestra and Choir this song turns into a real fun and pleasure. So, make sure you won’t miss this one as well.
Noteworthy Performances of KOHAR #6 | Zartir Lao /Araradn Aratch
“Zartir Lao” and “Araradn Aratch” are among the all-time favorites of Armenian folk songs that go back to the 1890s.
They are the most patriotic and encouraging Armenian songs that motivate to go and fight for the bright future of the country and show the power, confidence and courage of Armenian solders.
Besides, “Zartir Lao” and “Araradn Aratch” are the most beloved and demanded songs in many cultural events of Armenia. So, if you want to get your portion of motivation, listen to this inspiring performance of KOHAR.
Noteworthy Performances of KOHAR #7 | Eli Lav A
In the frameworks of “KOHAR with Stars of Armenia” concert, the orchestra also performed with Roland Gasparyan, the soloist of Armenian beloved reggae band “Reincarnation”.
“Eli Lav A” is one of the most popular songs of the band, especially among the youth. By the way, this song is the soundtrack of an Armenian film “Taxi. Eli Lava”.
Other Related Posts of KOHAR Symphony Orchestra and Choir | Top 7 Performances, History of Establishment, Breakout Tours & Concerts!
- Arno Babajanyan | Enjoy His Music, Songs! Discover Nocturne Notes & His Legacy (Concert Hall, Awards in His Honor) and Many More
- Armenian Philharmonic Orchestra | Check Their Top 5 Performances on YouTube
- Karen Demirchyan Complex | A Sports and Concerts Complex