Roman Amoyan is one of the most powerful and popular Armenian wrestlers in Greco-Roman style, who has many victories under his belt. Besides, he is one of the most remarkable Yazidi sportsmen on the planet.
Armenian wrestling has deep historical roots, as its existence in the Armenian Highlands goes back to ancient times.
During the Soviet period, wrestling became one of the most practiced and popular sports in Armenia. It’s not a secret that during the Olympic games, or other international wrestling tournaments, Soviet sent predominantly Armenian wrestlers.
It’s safe to say that wrestling still remains the #1 sport in Armenia. So, it’s not surprising as in the last two decades Armenian sportsmen have been quite successful at international tournaments.
You probably think there is no way wrestling could beat football and be the #1. But, let us prove you wrong by the number of medals they bring. More than half of the Armenian Olympic medalists are wrestlers.
But now we are going to introduce you one of the most remarkable representatives of Armenian wrestling, Roman Amoyan.
Two-time European Champion, three-time World Championships medalist, Olympic bronze medalist; and all these is about Roman Amoyan.
Roman is also one of the brightest and respected members of Yazidi community in Armenia. So, let’s not lose time and dig into Roman Amoyan’s life and career!
The Beginning of Roman Amoyan’s Career & Personal Life
- Armenian wrestler in Greco-Roman style, Roman Amoyan is one of the most famous sportsmen in Armenia.
- He started his wrestling career in 1995 and soon became one of the most acknowledged Armenian wrestlers.
- Born in the heart of Armenia, Yerevan, Roman Amoyan is of Yazidi descent.
- By the way, one of his brothers and uncles are quite famous wrestlers as well. So, we can say that he followed the footsteps of his family and relatives in the most successful way.
There is an interesting story of how he entered to the world of Armenian wrestling. As a child Roman Amoyan was very thin boy and to some people he even looked weak. When his coach saw the future champion, he asked whether he had seen himself in the mirror? The coach toh was sure he won’t be able to do any trick. But Roman Amoyan was very stubborn and insisted on continuing trainings. Eventually, as the time showed, he managed to prove them wrong brilliantly.
- He is truly a phenomenal sportsman as he could beat and win the professional wrestlers that were bigger and weightier than him at the very beginning of his career.
- As for his personal life, Roman Amoyan is married and has three beautiful children- two cute daughters and a son.
- His wife is a doctor and is also a representative of the Yazidi nation. As he once mentioned in an interview, his wife’s role in his professional activities and victories is really huge as she is very supportive and caring.
- Moreover, it’s pretty tough to be a wife of a professional wrestler, but as she is a very strong woman she handles it perfectly.
The Phenomenal Path of Roman Amoyan’s Wrestling Career
Roman Amoyan’s first major victory was in 2001 when he became a Junior World Champion and later, in 2002, a Junior European Champion.
He represented Armenia brilliantly at many championships, earning victories and expanding the collection of medals of the Armenian wrestling.
It would take us ages to list all his victories, but some of them are very significant.
Roman Amoyan is a Bronze medalist of the Olympic Games, European champion, Silver medalist of World Championship.
- To put it differently, has won three silver medals in 2003, 2005, 2008 and a gold medal in 2006 at the European Wrestling Championships.
- Also, Roman Amoyan won a bronze medal in 2009 and a silver medal in 2010 at the World Wrestling Championships.
- His next major victory was when he won the Olympic bronze medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, in the category of 55 kg.
- Amoyan won another bronze medal at the World Championship in 2013 and silver at the European Championship in 2016.
One of his most unforgettable victories was in 2009 when he won silver at the World Championship. In 1/8 final he wrestled with the Azerbaijani representative Rovshan Bairamov who had defeated him in the Olympics a year earlier, leaving him with the bronze medal.
That victory was very important for Roman Amoyan, as he proved that he was one of the bests in his weight category. That’s why he did everything impossible and possible to get to the final.
Ultimately, it’s the dream of every athlete to get the honor to represent an entire country, make the anthem play and become a respected and distinguished sportsman for the nation.
Interesting to know
Roman Amoyan | The Pride of Two Nations
The answer to this question is pretty simple and that proves the fact that many people consider him as one of the strongest and respectable athletes of Armenia.
Besides being an outstanding representative of Armenian wrestling, Roman Amoyan is also one of the most positive, friendly, kind and honored Armenian sportsmen.
He is a true patriot and is not even planning to represent another country.
As most of the sportsmen, he has devoted the vast majority of his life to sport and it’s one of his biggest dreams to have his own wrestling school where he will be able to teach children and pass his knowledge and skills of wrestling through generations.
To sum this up, in 2011 he was acknowledged as number one sportsman of Armenia, the “Armenian Athlete of the Year” that shows his significance in Armenian wrestling.
It’s also noteworthy that outside Armenia he is proudly representing the country in international tournaments, but everybody knows that inside the country he is representing the Yazidi Nation and its culture.
In addition, he is considered to be one of the most famous Yazidi people in the world. So, we can surely say that he is a true pride of two nations!
Other Related Articles of Roman Amoyan | One of the Masters of Armenian Wrestling & the Pride of Armenian and Yazidi Nations
- Artur Aleksanyan, An Olympic Champion of Rio 2016 | Find out his Facebook, Height, Training
- Armenian Wrestling, #1 Sport in the Country | Discover Top 5 Wrestlers & Champions
- Armenian Athletes Selection | Boxers, Footballers, Wrestlers Armenians are Proud of