The beautified project is one of the most famous Armenian bands that perform in English. Furthermore, it is the first rock band in the history of modern Armenian music industry whose music videos were broadcasted on European popular channels.
Initiated by talented Armenian singer and songwriter, Andre Simonyan, The Beautified Project is one of the brightest and prominent representatives of Armenian alternative rock music.
This Armenian band is especially well-known for its huge achievements abroad. By the way, The Beautified Project recalls such remarkable bands, as Coldplay, Radiohead and Metallica.
The Beautified Project: Veterans of the Armenian Alternative Rock Music
Founded in 2004, in London, The Beautified Project is an English-language Melancholic Alternative Rock band. It was formed by beloved Armenian singer and songwriter Andre Simonian.
Besides him, the other permanent members of the band include guitarist and back-vocalist, Armen Shaverdian and pianist and back-vocalist, Arlen Shaverdian.
When releasing The Beautified Project’s first demo album, ‘Serenades for Insanity’, it was yet Andre Simonian’s solo project. But soon Andre Simonyan moved to live in his homeland, Armenia where the twin brothers, Armen and Arlen joined the band.
Even though this Armenian band has three official members, bass player, Raffi Ghazryan and drummer, Derik Vardumyan join them during their live performances. By the way, both of them are session musicians.
In 2008, this famous Armenian band released its first official album ‘Behind the Happy Mask’. The design of the album was made by popular Armenian graphic designer and photographer, Arvin Kocharian.
‘Behind the Happy Mask’ was nominated for ‘Best Rock Album’ and ‘Best Album Cover Design’ in Armenian Music Awards in California. In 2010, The Beautified Project released its second official album, ‘Beyond the Butterfly’.
This album repeated the success of the first one and was accepted by the Armenian and international musical critiques. This was followed by several successful concerts in London, Georgia Vienna and Armenia.
In 2011, The Beautified Project recorded a duet with the lead singer of the world-renowned English rock band Antimatter, Mick Moss. The song is called ‘Broken Smile’.
As a great proof of their achievements in the music industry, this Armenian band has numerous awards and prizes. In 2012 and 2013, The Beautified Project won a national award as The Best Armenian Rock Band of Armenia. In 2013 this Armenian band won The Ambassadors of Armenia in the World Award at Radio Van Awards.
Interesting Facts about The Beautified Project
- The Beautified Project is the first internationally recognized English-language band out of Armenia.
- ‘Behind the Happy Mask’ is the first English-language album ever released in Armenia. The album was a real success. Moreover, one of the official music videos of this album, ‘Me and My Despair’, was aired by the MTV and PMC. No wonder that ‘Behind the Happy Mask’ went to become one of the best-selling and popular albums of 2009 in Armenia.
- The song ‘Butterfly’ became the band’s biggest hit till today, gaining them a place on MTV.
- During the UK tour of The Beautified Project, the international branch of BBC made a documentary about this Armenian band.
- In 2011 the band signed a contract with St. Mongoose Entertainment, thus becoming the first alternative rock band from Armenia who got signed with an American Record Label.
- In 2011, the cover of the famous Armenian folk song “KILIKIA”, recorded by The Beautified Project, became the most watched rendition of this song on YouTube.
- On 13th of October 2013, this Armenian band headlined the rock stage at Yerevan’s Charl Aznavour Square. The Beautified Project played a memorable open-air concert in front of about 5000 excited fans.
- On the 30th of October 2013, the band played a sold-out concert at Vienna’s Replugged venue.
- The Beautified Project had an amazing boat concert in Paris on the famous Penicho Anako boat on the 5th of November 2013.
- On April 16, 2011, this Armenian band played a memorial concert for the 97th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.
Top Songs of The Beautified Project #1 | Kilikia
The song ‘Kilikia’ has a unique place in their discography that took their fame and popularity to another level. Kilikia is an Armenian beautiful, heartwarming and melodic folk song about the Kingdom of Kilikia.
The lyrics were written by the outstanding Armenian poet, publicist, orator, writer, political activist and just a contributor to the Armenian National Constitution, Nahabed Rusinian.
His poem “Giligia” that was an adaptation of Frédéric Bérat’s French poem “My Normandy”, became the lyrics of the song. This is emotionally gripping, patriotic and powerful composition.
Kilikia is included in The Beautified Project’s third album, ‘United we fall’ released in 2013 as a bonus track.
Top Songs of The Beautified Project #2 | Aragil
Armenian folk song ‘Aragil is probably one of the most beloved and touching classics that will never be forgotten. In 2016, The Beautified Project presented their version of ‘Aragil’ with the purpose to call all Armenians around the world back to their motherland.
This song is included in their latest album ‘Pale Nightingale”. In the music video of this song, this Armenian band uses sign language to symbolize the fact that the majority of the world has been deaf and dumb toward the atrocity of the Armenian Genocide.
Top Songs of The Beautified Project #3 | Butterfly
This song from the album ‘Beyond the butterfly’ is a beautiful and sad song about a butterfly-woman. It was released in 2010.
The lyrics of this song is written by Andre Simonyan. By the way, in the music video of this song, the role of the butterfly plays famous Armenian actress, Luiza Nersisyan.
Top Songs of The Beautified Project #4 | Angel
The song ‘Angel is from their first album ‘Behind the happy mask” released back in 2008. This is one of their early songs that brought the band popularity and good reputation as one of the best rock bands.
The music and the lyrics of this song are written by Andre Simonyan.
Top Songs of The Beautified Project #5 | Lost Innocence
Check out their latest hit from the new ‘Pale Nightingale’ album released in 2016. The author of the lyrics is Andre Simonyan and the music is written by Arlen Shaverdian.
During a short period of time, ‘Lost Innocence’ gained a lot of views and positive feedbacks and it can be easily considered as the pearl of the album.
Top Songs of The Beautified Project #6 | Wait
Another new song from their album ‘Pale Nightingale’ is the already beloved song ‘Wait’. This song is a duet with famous Armenian singer Sona Rubenyan, who is the winner of Hay Superstar 2011 (Armenian version of Pop Idol).
This is a very harmonious and sweet-sounding composition that is worth to be included in your playlist.
Check Out Other Posts Related to The Beautified Project | An Awesome Armenian Rock Band Founded by Andre Simonyan
- System of a Down (SOAD) | The Members & Songs of Armenia’s Pride
- Serj Tankian | Discover This Armenian Musician’s Solo Career, Family and Top 5 Songs
- Armenian Singers and Bands: List of the BEST and TOP