Vazgen Sargsyan’s input in the new rising Armenian military is undeniable. Being extremely worried about Armenia’s future, Vazgen Sagsyan was one of the most outstanding figures during Nagorno-Karabakh war.
However, he didn’t stop on that. He was actively engaged in political affairs of the country. Vazgen Sargsyan is highly recognized hero and his legacy lives on for Armenian nation. You’ll meet numerous streets, park statues dedicated to him in Armenia.
Here is Why Everyone Considers Vazgen Sargsyan a Hero!
Vazgen Sargsan was a military commander of Armenian Army and politician. He was the first Defense Minister of Armenia. Vazgen was an extremely essential figure in Nagorno-Karabakh war. The years of his being Defense Minister and the hardest period of Nagorno-Karabakh war coincided.
Vazgen Sargsyan also played a great role in the prominence of mass movement for the Unification of Nagorno-Karabakh with Armenia in 1980s and organized volunteer groupings for force the early clashes with Azerbaijan.
Soon after the collapse of Soviet Union, Vazgen Sargsyan was appointed as a Defense Minister by the president of Armenia Levon Ter-Petrosyan in 1991. This was the especially heated period of Nagorno-Karabakh war.
Vazgen Sargsyan played an immense role for Armenia in post-war years as well. He was the Prime Minister of Armenia in 1999. The power of Vazgen Sargsyan raised day by day. He was the one who created the group of influential veterans which were called “Yerkrapah”.
This group was considered one of the strongest powers in the country. Every day rising power and respect of Vazgen Sargsyan appeared to be not in favor of some political unknown powers. On October 27, 1999 Vazgen Sargsyan together with other political leaders of the country was cruelly assassinated.
Today both in political spectrum and by public Vazgen Sargsyan is recognized as a national hero, a rare man who was ready to do everything for his country. So, now a bit about his biography
Interesting Facts about Vazgen Sargsyan’s Life and Struggle
It is impossible to put Vazgen Sargsyan’s biography in a few paragraphs. His life was a huge struggle and not for his personal happiness, or ambitions, but for his country. So, we’ve collected interesting facts and events from his life that should be known!
- Vazgen Sargsyan was born on 5th May, 1959, in the village Ararat.
- After graduating the school, from 1976 to 1979 he studied in Yerevan Institute of Physical Culture.
- He worked as a Physical Education teacher in their local village
- You’ll be surprised but Vazgen Sargsyan was also a great writer. Vazgen entered into active social life as writer-journalist.
- In 1985, he became a member of Writer Union of Armenia
- He published his first book in 1987, which was called “bread temptation”, and was awarded by Armenian Komsomol for his book.
- Nagorno-Karabakh war appeared to be fatal time for a young and ambition Vazgen Sargsyan, who had so many dreams of bright future of his country. So, he chose to be the brave warrior of Armenia and headed the first battles in Yeraskhavan in 1988.
Vazgen Sargsyan’s Life after 1988
- In 1990, Vazgen Sargsyan was already part of Pan-Armenia National Movement.
- In the same year, he established Special regiment. Actually, this was a historical event for Armenia, as it was the first formal Armenian military unit independent from Armenian SSR.
- In 1991 Vazgen Sargsyan was assigned the Defense Minister of Armenia.
- To thousands of heroic deeds of Vazgen Sargsyan, the capture of Shushi is especially highlighted. The operation of Shushi seemed so impossible and extremely dangerous for Armenian side. Thanks to bright tactics and bravery of Vazgen Sargsyan and Armenian servant and soldiers Shushi was liberated. The operation lasted only 1 day and ended successfully for the Armenian side.
- 1993-1995 was the Minister for Coordination of Law Enforcement Agencies.
- He establishes the voluntary grouping called Yerkrapah
- 1995-1998 was again the head of Defense Ministry of Armenia
- In 1999 Vazgen Sargsyan starts his political career and in the same year was appointed as the Prime Minister of Armenia.
- 1999 was a tragic year for all Armenians, as Vazgen Sargsyan, together with other political leaders was cruelly assassinated during the Armenian Parliament shootings. The Armenian Parliament shooting remains one of the unsolved mysteries till our days.
Vazgen Sargsyan and Military Involvement
Vazgen Sargsyan definitely belongs to those historical characters of Armenia, without whom the newest Armenian history is difficult to imagine. As he was already widely known and respected through Armenian nation, his appointment as a Defense Minister was not a surprise, moreover, it was difficult to imagine anyone else in that role.
Vazgen Sargsyan was the one who formally created the Armenian Armed Forces. The historical capture of Shushi once again raised his reputation and fame. Another outstanding victory of Vazgen Sargsyan was also the capture of Lachin. The role of Lachin is extremely important, as it connects Armenia to Nagorno-Karabakh.
Vazgen Sargsyan created the battalion called “Eagles”, which consisted of several hundreds of volunteers, who were going to fight in the most dangerous regions, where the chance of surviving was 50/50.
Vazgen Sargsyan played incomparably essential role in the formulation of Armenian Army. Founding “Yerkrapah”, the union of 5000 veterans became the major power of Vazgen Sargsyan. Sooner Vazgen Sargsyan became the most influential personality of Armenia.
His fame was on the peak even during the post-war years. He was loved and recognized by public, and also had great many connections and power, which made him invulnerable. Armenians loved and respected Vazgen so much, that they gave him the honorific name “Sparapet”.
Vazgen Sargsyan in Armenian Politics
Vazgen Sargsyan’s political path was not always very smooth, it was full of scandals and controversies. Not once other political powers blamed Vazgen for illegal actions, such as murders of different public figures, faking the election and etc.
There raised also disagreement between the former president of Armenia, Levon Ter-Petrosyan and Vazgen Sargsyan. Levon Ter-Petrosyan appeared not to have enough support to continue his presidency, so he resigned.
After Levon Ter-Petrosyan’s presidency the relations between Levon Ter-Pertosyan and Vazagen Sargsyan were tense, so Vazgen Sargsyan suggested the new future leader of Armenia, Robert Kocharyan.
However, there were some rumors that afterwards there were also some misunderstandings between Robert Kocharyan and Vazgen Sargsyan as well. In 1999, Vazgen Sargsyan and ex-communist leader Karen Demirchayan formed alliance.
Karen Demirchyan was also the respectable public figure loved by Armenians. So, the alliance of Vazgen Sargsyan and Karen Demirchan was extremely powerful one. This alliance was a subject of trouble for many political powers. So, everything lead to one of the most tragic events of Armenian history.
Vazgen Sargsyan’s Assassination
On October 27, 1999, 5 armed men entered Armenian parliament and shot dead some of the parliament members including Vazgen Sargstyan and Karen Demirchyan.
Though they declared themselves as a patriotic grouping, the public never admitted it as a reality. The case of Parliament shooting was one of the scandalous cases of the Armenian history and it remains unsolved till our days.
There are some conspiracy theories connected with Armenian Parliament shooting. Most frequently it is connected with former president of Armenia Robert Kocharyan, who was believed to be the initiator of Armenian Parliament shooting. The others are pretty sure that it is connected with foreign powers, such as Russia.
Vazgen Sargsyan’s Legacy Lives On
Vazgen Sargsyan was awarded as a hero of Artsakh and a national hero of Armenia. He is considered the one who formed Armenian Armed Forces.
Yerevan Military academy is named after Vazgen Sargsyan. Republican Stadium in Armenia is also named after him. There are quite a large number of streets named after Vazgen Sargsyan both in Yerevan and other cities.
One of the most known street is situated in Kentron(Central) district of Yerevan, starting right from the Republic Square. There are some streets after Vazgen Sargsyan in Artsakh as well.
Vazgen Sargsyan museum is situated in his hometown Ararat. Vazgen Sargsyan is always highly praised by Armenians. They consider him one of the greatest charismatic leaders of Armenia, whose input in Armenian development is immense.
Vazgen Sargsyan remains in Armenian’s memory as a national hero who would do his best and even put his life under danger to do something good for his country.
Other Related Posts of Vazgen Sargsyan! A National Hero & Legendary Military Commander | Discover His Legacy Today, Street, Statues, Medals & More
- Monte Melkonian! Learn More About The Biography & Quotes of The Biggest National Hero of Armenia
- Garegin Njdeh (Garegin Nzhdeh), His Quotes Are Powerful and Several Movies Featured Him
- Armenian Military | Armenian Armed Force & Military Balance