“Where are Armenians from?” is a question that will interest those, who want to learn something new about a country that attracts many people from different parts of the world. It attracts people with its rich history, unique culture, picturesque places and simply kind and outgoing people.
Egypt, Iran, Greece, China, Japan, Armenia…
You may wonder what connects these countries that are neither neighbors nor enemies. The answer is very simple. These are the oldest nations in the world and as you see Armenian nation is among them.
So, while in Armenia you will notice that Armenian Church, alphabet, language, culture, families, people are not the only things Armenians are proud of.
Armenians also feel a burst of national pride when they inform tourists like you that Armenians are one of the oldest nations in the world that have inhabited the Armenian Highlands since the Stone Age. But let’s not open all the brackets.
Just keep up scrolling to find out the answer to a very important question “Where are Armenians from?”. Plus learn about Armenian ancestry and the typical characteristics of Armenians conditioned by DNA.
As you see you are going to learn a lot of new things about a nation having thousands of years’ history.
Who are Armenians Ethnically & Where are Armenians from?
We won’t exaggerate if we say that Armenians are one of the oldest nations in the world. And if you are a bit skeptical just try to find information about the first Christian country.
- Doing so, you will find out that Armenians have had a presence in the Armenian Highland for over four thousand years. That is people have inhabited the Armenian Highlandssince the Stone Age.
- As Assyrian sources indicate, the first tribal unions that inhabited in the Armenian Plateau were Hayasa-Azzi, Isuva, Alishe, Uruatri, Dayaeni, Diauekhi.
- Historians highlight that by the 9th century B.C the ancient unified state of Armenia was Urartu, the strongest kingdom in the North East.
- After the collapse of the Urartian Empire, Armenians appeared in history as a unified nation.
- The earliest record identified with Armenians are from the Armenic-Sumerian inscriptions around 2700 BC. Here Armenians are referred to as the sons of Hayk, the legendary forefather of Armenians.
- Due to Hayk Nahapet, Armenians call themselves “Hay” and the country where they live “Hayastan”. So, next time you come to Armenia just keep in mind that you are visiting “Hayastan” and you are going to meet millions of outgoing and hospitable “Hayer”, one of the ancient nations in the world history.
Where are Armenians from? Are They Middle Eastern or not?
“Where are Armenians from?” or “Is Armenia in Europe or Middle East?” This is a question that arises because of the complicated geographical position of Armenia right after foreigners find this tiny country on the map.
By the way, this question is one of the debated topics in Armenia too. So, there are people who consider Armenia as part of Middle East and some who think it’s more in European continent.
You will probably think we are going to shed light on this controversial issue.
To your great surprise, we aren’t, but to your great relief, we will introduce to you several reasonable opinions from the geographical, cultural and political point of view, that will help you to form your own opinion. So, let’s start.
Where are Armenians from Geographically?
From the geographical point of view, Armenia is situated in South Caucasus region between Europe and Asia.
Armenia has borders with Georgia on the north, Azerbaijan on the east, Iran on the south and Turkey on the west.
Where are Armenians from? Where did They Belong in the Past?
Armenia is located exactly in the crossroads of Europe and Asia. So, thanks to its favorable geographical location Armenia has always been in the middle of East-West trade routes (Silk Road). This privilege came with a price to pay, it was also a battle ground of major regional empires.
During Armenia’s long historical way Armenia was invaded and controlled by different empires, such as:
- Russian empires
This factor couldn’t but have a great influence on Armenian culture, politics and mentality.
So, if we look back to the past, we can see Armenia was associated more with Asia and The Middle East.
Where do Armenian Belong Today Culturally, Economically & Politically?
In the era of globalization much has changed today. Now Armenia aspires to be a European nation.
- Armenians listen to European music, follow the latest trends of European fashion, continue their education in European countries, etc.
- So, we can say that some typical Armenian traditions have faded over time and some of them have been replaced by other European traditions.
- Anyway, there are some values and cultural aspects that still exist in Armenia and Armenians are proud of having them. One of them is surely family.
- Like to many Eastern nations a firm family is the most important thing to Armenians as well. So, it comes as no surprise that Armenians still have peaceful and firm families.
- Armenia still continues to have close ties with Iran, Syria (Syrian Armenians) and some other Middle Eastern countries. However, there is one major difference that makes Armenia stand out from Eastern countries. Yep, you are quite right. Religion! Armenia is the first Christian country in the world and Armenian nation belongs to the Armenian Apostolic Church. Another similarity between Armenia and Europe!
- But that’s not all. While technically located in Asia Minor, Armenia also has strong political and economic ties with Europe and is member of European Council. It participates in European sport and cultural events
- EU is Armenia’s #1 partner in trade in the world and it comes second most important partner in politics after Russia
Where are Armenians from? Armenian DNA
Armenia and Armenians have always interested scientists and researchers. “Why is it so?” you may ask. The answer is very simple.
The fact that Armenians are one of the oldest nations in the world is enough to understand where this interest comes from.
Furthermore, it’s difficult to find another ethnic group that is so uniquely diverse in genealogy and physical characteristics, mostly as a result of widespread ancestral origins.
So, it comes as no surprise that several DNA projects are aimed at researching Armenian ancestry and their deep ancestry through genetic testing.
The results of genetic studies have shown that the DNA samples of the Bronze Age individuals that have been found on the territory of Armenia, have a genetic portrait that is almost indistinguishable from the genetic portrait of people living today in Armenia.
This means that unlike their neighbors, Armenians have stopped mixing with other nations retaining their ethnic and cultural homogeneity since the end of the Bronze Age.
In a word Armenians represent a genetic continuum of at least 3500 years.
Where are Armenians from? Typical Physical Characteristics with Armenian DNA
People of “pure” Armenian ancestry used to have blue eyes and blond hair. Now it’s a bit difficult to believe this because there is a small percentage of Armenians with these pure features within population.
Armenians who belong to the Eurasian race of Armenoid (Western Asian) type are characterized by:
- short and round skull
- medium face size
- pink-white, dark white and light brown colors of skin
- wavy or straight dark hair of different shades
- thick eyebrows
- long eyelashes
- dark brown, honey-colored and black eyes
- long and sometimes crooked “Armenian nose”
- the average height of Armenian men is 172 cm
- the average height of Armenian women is 158 cm
Now you may probably want to find out what kind of people Armenians are. It is surely impossible to compile all Armenian ancestry characteristics within one or two sentences. But to the question “where are Armenians from” we’ll answer by listing both their negative and positive characteristics.
So, Armenians are very emotional, passionate, a bit unpunctual, impatient, curious, outgoing, hospitable, warm-hearted, family-oriented, proud and on top of that, very clever.
Other Related Posts Of Where Are Armenians From? Ever Wondered? Find All Answers About Armenian Ancestry & DNA
- Where is Armenia? Find out Armenia Location on Map & Know the Country
- Is Armenia in Europe, Asia, or Middle East? What continent is Armenian located in?
- 10 Armenian people physical characteristics commonly found in Armenia